Once you decide that divorce is the answer, the first legal step is to hire a family law attorney.
This may seem like an obvious piece to the puzzle, but plenty of parties every day choose to represent themselves in court. After all, it is their right to do so in Texas. With that said, many parties who proceed “pro se,” or on one’s own behalf, find that their case and the court process are more difficult than expected.
As a result, they worry that they’ve potentially placed themselves at a disadvantage.
How a Family Law Attorney Can Help
Divorce is not something you want to attack alone, even if you do feel prepared. Nip and tuck cases still won’t be decided in a few days or weeks, and there is so much happening during that time that it is better to leave it all in the experienced hands of a family law attorney. This includes complexities related to child custody and child support, spousal maintenance, property division, mediation, and everything in between. Your lawyer ensures you receive the best possible outcome.
Find someone with experience with your type of case, and make sure their team of attorneys is solutions-minded and has their clients’ best interests at heart. Discuss the case with them and understand how they plan to walk you through the process.
Here are a few reasons why hiring an attorney early in the divorce process is a wise strategy:
- Lawyers have knowledge of legal proceedings that you don’t.
- They can properly draft all legal documents.
- They can provide emotional support and walk you through a variety of possible outcomes.
- Your divorce strategy will be sound, and you will increase your chances of a smooth outcome.
- Lawyers are a buffer between you, the judge, and the other party.
- They can help you set realistic expectations.
- A lawyer helps you avoid poor choices in the courtroom.
- You need someone leading the charge who can remain objective.
- Family law attorneys can help you avoid potential financial losses.
- Family law attorneys have expert negotiation skills.
- They shoulder the burden of filling out mountains of paperwork, adhering to deadlines, etc.
Deciding To Divorce Is Never Easy
The family law attorneys at Christman Attorneys, PLLC, have a unique and refreshing approach to the often turbulent and emotionally stressful disputes arising in the context of divorce, child custody, and other family law cases. Our law firm anchors its representation and legal advice in principles and philosophies that focus on the long-term best interests of children and families.
Although it is not easy, our attorneys are committed to supporting and guiding clients through the dark days of marital crisis.
The details of your divorce proceedings may not be clearly defined until we can sit down, dive into your unique situation, and determine the best course of action moving forward.
Please Call Christman Attorneys, PLLC, for Your Legal Needs Today!
Please consult a family law attorney for advice about your individual situation. The material on this website and in this or any blog article we publish are for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. The attorneys at Christman Attorneys, PLLC, believe in tailoring legal advice and solutions to your own personal circumstances.
We have an unwavering commitment to helping our clients at each stage of their legal situation.