Property division can be contentious in divorce and often require the ise of skilled and experienced Irving family law attorneys. The longer a couple is married, the more property they typically accumulate. This can, in some instances, create a lot of confusion – and sometimes animosity. The family law attorneys with Christman | Daniell Attorneys, can help if you find yourself in a difficult situation. We will give you the advice you need to help the two of you find the most equitable way to divide what you’ve accumulated.

How Property Division Typically Works in Texas

This can be a highly complex topic that we can’t fully address in this article. If you have any questions, please contact our Irving family law attorneys whenever you like.

One very important thing to know is that Texas is a so-called “community property” state. In a nutshell, the courts will presume that whatever property was acquired while you were married is equally owned. The property will have to be divided equally once the marriage is over. There are a few exceptions – the family law attorneys in Irving, TX, with Christman | Daniell Attorneys, will be happy to spell them out.

There is another consideration to keep in mind – that’s the classification of the property. The court will likely put your property into one of two categories – separate and community property. Separate property, as you likely have already surmised, is a property that the assets you had before you were married. However, if you were gifted or inherited property (even during the marriage), that could fall into the separate property category.

But even though separate property can’t be divided, you’ll have to prove that yours should be placed in that category. This is just one of the many areas where skilled family law attorneys in Irving, TX, may be able to help.

As you can see, property division can get reasonably complicated quickly. Let our Irving family law attorneys clear things up for you, and advocate for your rights. Call Christman | Daniell Attorneys, at 972.445.9907 or contact us online to set up a free consultation.